10.13.2008

Gettin' Political.

(Crappy picture of us, I know... but that's Bill in the background on stage!)

Normally, while I have very strong opinions on politics, I'm not one to get into a big political discussion or get involved in campaigns or any of that business. I am happy to talk politics with people who either 1) feel the same way as me or 2) feel differently but are willing to consider another point of view (i.e., don't shout at me or get shrill or we will not be discussing the election).

Last week, though, I got an email that former president Bill Clinton would be speaking at an Obama rally in Richmond last night. And I thought, "How cool would it be to see a president in real life?!" And then, "I actually care a LOT about this election, maybe it's not such a bad idea to go to a rally."

So, my friend Leslie and I went. I can not tell you if Bryan would have gone or not if he didn't have to be up at the crack of dawn today because the man will not discuss politics and I don't think he'd want me telling everybody his leanings. :)

It was interesting... Clinton is certainly a great speaker and had a lot of insightful things to say. The rally was held in the courtyard of the VCU Student Commons, so they had a VCU student introduce him. I thought it was incredibly classy of him when he came out WITH her and stood next to her as she told her own story, rather than hang out behind the curtain and make a grand entrance after she spoke. Sure, it is a move any good politician would make, but I was still impressed. Way to stand next to the little guy (or girl, in this case), Bill.

The crowd was large and diverse. The mood was excited and hopeful. Everyone was respectful and paid attention to what was being said.

Wouldn't it be nice if the state of our Union was just like that?

Maybe next year. :-)

No comments: