10.17.2008

RIP Nacho Mama

(Image courtesy of http://www.savorygourmets.com)

As I drove in to work today, I heard on NPR that Carmen Rocha, a retired Los Angeles waitress, had passed away. In itself, that doesn't seem particularly newsworthy. Carmen was, however, the woman who introduced nachos to LA. While she brought the recipe of tortilla chips covered in cheese and jalapenos from her hometown of San Antonio, Texas, we all know that Los Angeles is where trends are introduced to the United States.

As a woman who can't imagine life without the bliss of warm cheese on fried tortillas, I salute Carmen Rocha, and think I might have to go to my favorite Mexican food cart for nachos for lunch today.

Rest in peace, Nacho Mama!

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

I am envisioning a casket spray NOT of lovely roses but of shiny green jalapenas..