2.27.2008

Waking up to America.



This morning, in spite of several nights of really crappy sleep, I was up on time and to the bus stop with TIME TO SPARE! This might not seem like an accomplishment to you, but if you were the one who's been pulling in to the bus stop parking lot just as it's time for the bus to pull away every day for the last few weeks, you'd be totally stoked about it. I actually had time to gently pick up my purse and book and get out of the car like a lady. As opposed to the recent ritual of grabbing my stuff like I'm a purse snatcher and throwing myself out of the car with no regards to whether or not I'm about to flash my hoohoo at someone. (Lucky for me I wear panties AND tights when I wear a skirt.)

My boss is in Russia this week for her first visit to adopt her new daughter, and so I have been buying my coffee rather than trying to make a pot small enough for just me. So as I thought about whether or not I was going to buy my usual two apple pies or the more healthful fruit and yogurt parfait at McDonald's this morning, I was hit with a craving for Krispy Kreme donuts. And they sell those in our cafeteria, so that's where I headed. Lo and behold, there was a nice set of students selling BOXES of the things in the lobby! A dozen krispy kremes for $5 seemed a much better deal than one for $1, so I bought some. And then headed back to Mickey D's for the coffee, because it really is good.

As I went around to the peoples' offices that I knew would be here that early offering donuts, I felt like Dexter. I have watched too much of that show (the whole second season) in the past few weeks. I momentarily feared that I'd run into my own Sgt. Doakes who would suspect I was up to no good... thank god not a lot of people get Showtime.

I finally settled into my office with what really must be the most American breakfast ever: two Krispy Kreme donuts, a cup of coffee from McDonald's and the following headlines in the news:

Father of slain girl to file suit over failed search
Inmate suing for sex change says prison stopped treatments
Eskimo village sues over global warming

I really need to come up with something I can sue someone for... obviously litigation is the new lottery.

No comments: