7.06.2008

Dream Big.



Have you seen this story? I love it.

The synopsis: A 48-year-old man from Oregon, Kent Couch, flew a lawn chair rigged with helium filled balloons 200 miles into Idaho, the next state over. He carried a Red Ryder BB gun with him to pop the balloons as needed to adjust his course and his altitude.

Here's what he had to say about his voyage:

"If I had the time and money and people, I'd do this every weekend," Couch said before getting into the chair. "Things just look different from up there. You've moving so slowly. The best thing is the peace, the serenity. Originally, I wanted to do it because of boyhood dreams. I don't know about girls, but I think most guys look up in the sky and wish they could ride on a cloud."

It wasn't his first attempt at getting out of the state. He had tried a time or two before, but he needed to tweak the process a bit..

To that end, he ordered more balloons. Dozens of volunteers wearing fluorescent green T-shirts that said "Dream Big" filled latex balloons 5 feet in diameter, attached them to strings and tied clusters of six balloons each to a tiny carabiner clip.


Although his wife called him crazy (can't blame her), I love that this guy pursued his boyhood dream and in the process made so many other people think about dreaming big. I know if I had seen a man floating over me in a lawn chair surrounded by a hundreds of huge, colorful balloons, I would certainly be taken back to my childhood wonderment. And seeing him land successfully? Well, it kind of makes you wonder which dreams of yours could be possible if you put in a little effort and perseverance.

And the fact that he used a Red Ryder BB gun of all things, well... that, my friends, is priceless.

No comments: