5.12.2008

Hooray for Moms!

Well, Moms, I apologize for not wishing you all a Happy Mother's Day on ACTUAL Mother's Day, but I was busy... with my mom! :) So, first and foremost, a belated Happy Mother's Day to all of you maternal types. You are all amazing and I hope you had a great day.

So, my Mother's Day was excellent. Except for one thing--I FORGOT MY CAMERA! Dumb. I had it in a pile with all the other things I needed to take with me, and somehow that was the only thing I didn't bring with me. And I'm pissed about that because me, my mom, my brother and my sister all looked HOT. Anyway.

My overworked husband had to work YET AGAIN Sunday morning, so I got up and headed up to the mountains by myself to meet up with my mom and siblings. Because we're scattered all over the place, we couldn't remember the last time all three of us were together on Mother's Day. I know, criminal. So we headed to Lexington (ooh, metropolis!) for lunch. None of us are too familiar with the town, and I hadn't done my research, so we drove through downtown, didn't see anything appealing, and ended up at Ruby Tuesday. Really, a pretty good spot for a Mom's Day lunch.

The thing about Ruby Tuesday, though, is that I used to work there. For two years in college, I was a hostess at the RT in Charlottesville. Believe it or not, I really liked that job, and I was damned good at it. I also luuuuuuved Ruby Tuesday food and soda--seriously the best fountain sodas anywhere... as a side note, we got free drinks while we worked, and I took advantage something serious... so seriously that I ended up with some DREADFUL kidney pain that I totally attributed to them being clogged up with Coke. But I digress... The thing about this Ruby Tuesday yesterday is that they had about five tables open in the bar area right behind the host stand, and about 40 people standing there waiting to be seated. BAD FORM. Obviously they didn't have a server in that section, but that's the sort of thing a good hostess fixes--put a server there so people don't get pissed they can't sit down when there are five open tables right in front of them. Bet you never knew there's an art to hostessing at a restaurant, did you? The other rant about Ruby Tuesday: the food was really good, but I was bummed that they've taken some of my old favorites off... they've exchanged fries and fried onion straws for mashed potatoes and broccoli. YAWN.

Anyway, once I reminded Vic & Zech that it was MOTHER'S DAY and perhaps they shouldn't BICKER like brothers and sisters apparently do all the time, we had a great lunch. We laughed and talked prom and school and all kinds of fun stuff. I sense that Zech kind of expects that next year he'll be Prom Prince, so let's all keep our fingers crossed for Mr. Blue Eyes.

After lunch, we came outside to torrential downpours. Ah, lovely. We had to go over to the Wal-Mart to pick up the photos Victoria had dropped off, and Vic & I dropped Mom & Zech off at the front door and parked the car. We had an umbrella thankfully, but Victoria still plastered herself to me like my Siamese Twin to try to shield herself from getting soaked. Unfortunately for both of us, there was no escaping the drowned rat look. Thank god we were going to Wal-Mart, where that look is the norm. (I kid! I kid!)

Anyway, we picked up the photos and did a little shopping, then it was time for everyone to head home. Or for me to drive everyone home, that is. First, though, a Mother's Day good deed (we held the umbrella over an older lady pushing another older lady in a wheelchair for them to get to their car) and then another drenching jaunt through the Wal-Mart parking lot with my little sister.

It was really a great afternoon, in spite of the monsoon. I love getting together with my mom and little sibs! Again, sorry I'm a moron and don't have any pictures!

1 comment:

JYNX'd said...

i dont even know if they have it or have had it this century (literally) but they USED to have this rockin kick a potato salad on the bar--had lots of egg in it, but more importantly, i think each cup had like a half pound of bacon it it. and i wonder how i got so chubby. love RT. i need to get out more!!