1.29.2008

Angioedema, you can kiss my grits.

Well, I spent the weekend in the throes of an angioedema attack. It started slowly on Friday afternoon and by 2am Saturday morning I had to wake my husband up to get me some medicine to treat the extreme pain and nausea. I have actually gotten enrolled in a clinical trial that would provide me with the enzyme I'm deficient of in a concentrated form and, theoretically, nip the attack in the bud, but unfortunately the center where they administer the drug and monitor your response is closed on the weekend. Doesn't that figure.

So I toughed it out. It is always a fine balance between not wallowing in pain throughout the attack and actually doing stuff, because it always seems that the more I do, the longer it lasts. Bryan and I did make it out Saturday afternoon to see my friend Jodie's daughter, Jordan, cheer at a basketball game, and then we went for a bite to eat and a movie for Leslie's birthday with her and her beau, but Sunday was a couch day and yesterday I stayed home and slept all day. I am feeling better today, but still not 100%.

Of course, as luck would have it, some monster bug decided to hit Bryan, and he woke me up at 2:30am telling me he was freezing... just about the time I had woken up to stick both legs out of the covers because I was burning up. Once I took his temperature and it was 99.6, I realized I was probably so hot because I was sleeping with a man made of charcoal embers. This morning when he was throwing the four blankets I gave him aside and telling me how hot it was (even though it was the same temperature it had been four hours before), I stuck the thermometer in his mouth again and got a reading of 102.2. Thankfully he wasn't too stubborn about staying home from work, but I am still trying to convince him he needs to go to the doctor. His symptoms are a sore throat, cough and headache... and unfortunately I'm starting to feel a twinge of a sore throat myself. I'm praying that's just sympathy pains, because I'm really not interested in having to take ANOTHER sick day.

Being sick is not fun.

No comments: